The RV lifestyle and community
It sometimes seems that research on full-time RV life raises as many questions as it answers. I want to learn as much as possible about RV safety and towing, floor plans, etc. before hitting the road. One thing I’ve learned from reading RV related blogs and websites is that everyone in the RV community is so incredibly helpful and positive. It seems everyone truly loves it and everyone is an amazing advocate for the lifestyle. I haven’t yet found anyone who tells the reader to run as fast as possible away from full-time RV’ing. I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea – but apparently those folks are not out there blogging about it!
What I’ve been thinking about
- What RV type should I purchase?
- Can I live in less than 25 – 30 feet? Do I need that much space?
- Class B, Class C, Class A, travel trailer, or Fifth Wheel !?!?!?
- What floor plan is going to work best for me?
- How will I access the Internet? Will it be as slow as snail mail? How expensive?
- What about boondocking? National & State Parks vs commercial campgrounds.
- How do you empty gray and black tanks?
- How do you hook up a trailer, fifth wheel, or toad? <==== See! I’m already learning the terminology!
- Can I earn money on the road? Can I make money blogging? Workcamping?
- Can I purchase an RV & truck without getting screwed? (The thing I’m most concerned about)
- What is all this going to cost me?
- Can I pull a trailer or 5th wheel? (I have never towed anything! This is the 2nd biggest concern, but I’m confident I’ll be fine!)
- What am I going to do about health insurance?
- How will I get my mail?
You get the idea of everything running through my head about the full-time RV lifestyle. Many of you have been there, done that. I need answers! So, I immediately hit up the Internet. I’ve found some great RV websites, RV blogs, and YouTube RV videos that have been enormously helpful.
Sources for information
- Travel with Kevin and Ruth!
- Keep Your Daydream
- Long Long Honeymoon
- Big Truck Big RV (Corpus Christie Guy)
- All About RV’s
- RVT – RV Trader
- Escapees RV Club
- Good Sam Club
My mind is spinning a bit right now, but as I continue learning about the full-time RV life, I’ll have the confidence to move forward and enjoy living the full-time RV life. Already, I have pretty much decided on a 5th wheel. I like Class C’s, but they don’t provide me with the room I think I need – plus I don’t really want to pull a toad.